Wednesday, October 16, 2013

WIP Wednesday, some Random things, and a new Quilt-Along

Can't believe it's Wednesday already ... so I guess it's WIP time.  The main only thing that's really consumed me this week is Christmas tree skirt #2.  The piecing is finished and I did the basting yesterday ~ started out by curvy pin basting (not good for the brittle nails) and ended up spray basting with 505 which most of the spray-basters out there seem to love!  I really haven't had much experience with basting yet, but I was happy with the way I was able to really smooth out both sides using the 505.

I made the binding on Sunday using a little less than 1/2 yard of fabric and this continuous binding tutorial (which has some great charts to help you determine fabric needs and binding lengths).



So today, I started on some straight-line quilting.  I really hope I learn to love the actual quilting part of making a quilt ~ at the moment, it's not my favorite.  Since the tree skirt is going to be 8-sided, I started with  that shape in the center, and I'm doing kind of a sun-burst pattern from there.  It took a while to decide exactly what to do, but so far so good (and no puckers ~ Yay!)



I managed to do a couple of small charity things this week ~ a Christmas pillowcase to be sent over to Afghanistan for the troops ~ and four blocks for a charity quilt being put together by our local quilt guild.



Finally ~ Good news!  Rachel over at Stitched in Color is hosting a Penny Patch Beginner's Quilt-Along!  I planned on doing a patchwork for Christmas tree skirt #4, so this is perfect for that project.  I grabbed the button for my sidebar ~ I'm ready!!




Linking up with Lee for WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.

2 comments:

  1. Your binding choice is sure to add a festive touch to your tree skirt, Georgi. And the quilting is looking wonderful! Only 69 days left until Christmas now. Good for you making headway in that department!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lorna ~ finished the quilting today, hopefully binding tomorrow! Can't wait to show ya!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments. :)